Sunday, October 12, 2008

Re-Cap

So far, I have been very impressed with this class. Issues surrounding Chicanos and Latinos in the United States is something that is dear to my heart as I grew up in California and have lived and worked amongst many recent migrants from south of the border, and my Mom is an ESL teacher and advocate for immagrant rights. I have been impressed with the readings and also with Jon's refreshing non-pretentious teaching style and the insights of many students in the class.
I have found the readings interesting yet challenging. The first book provided interesting historical commentary about issues that have existed for a very long time and still continue to exist to this day. The readings in Spanish have been challenging for me as they are my first real attempts to read real literature in Spanish. Reading them has helped me expand my vocabulary and general Spanish skills as a whole, though I do not understand them as deeply as I would in English. Then again, there is always room for improvement.
I have already begun Women Hollering Creed and am thourghouly impressed with Cisnero's poetic writing style. She has a way of becoming the diverse characters she displays in her prose and writes artistically and beautifully. So far, this is my favorite!

No comments: