Sunday, October 19, 2008

Woman Hollering Creek

This is by far my favorite book we have read so far. I find Cisnero's writing style to be captivating and poetic. The way in which she describes situations and emotions artfully and metaphorically is very powerful and speaks to the heart. I am having a hard time putting this one down! I really enjoy how she not only gives voice to the many characters and perspectives represented in the book, but she actually seems to become these characters themselves. There is a tragic quality to her writing, but it this same quality that resonates very deeply in the Chicano and female experience as I understand it. Her writing style inspires me to want to write more!

In My Friend Lucy Who Smells Like Corn, Cisneros embodies the voice of a sassy eleven-year-old girl, and these stories hilariously and insightfully detain the trials and triumphs of what it is like to see the world from her perspective. At first, I was slightly thrown off by the colloquial style, and it briefly felt like she was trying too hard, but once I got into the swing of things, I really came to enjoy seeing the world from these eyes. Even in the absurdity of the stories she tells, there is a certain truth and familiarity that is evoked in regards to me as my eleven-year-old self. I loved the way in which she described Salvador in Salvador Late or Early. "Salvador with eyes the color of caterpillar, Salvador of the crooked hair and crooked teeth. Salvador whose name the teacher cannot remember, is a boy who is no one's friend, runs along somewhere in that vague direction where homes are the color of bad weather...".

There are also beautiful description in the following story One Holey Night. I really enjoy the subtlety of how she writes. She does not flat out say things that happen or the way people feel about said situations, but she probes at them in the form of metaphors. "Then abuelita made me tell her the real story of how the cart had disappeared, all of which I told this time, except for that one night, which I would have to tell anyway, weeks later, I prayed for the moon of my cycle to come back, but it would not."

All in all, I am very impressed with this book. So far, this class has probably had the best selection of literature of any lit class I've taken at UBC, and all of the books add different layers and dimensions to my overall understanding of the Chicano experience. I enjoy the artistry and the subtle layering of perspectives that seem to exists very strong in many of these

3 comments:

Max said...

One thing I forgot to mention in my post and that I'm finding more and more is how poetic and full of rhyme the writing is. It adds to the flow and makes it playful.

deanna-maria said...

I agree with you on that you initially thought Cisernos was trying too hard.

After the first story, I thought 'oh gosh, this book will be hard to get through if all of it sounds like its been written by a five year old', but alas, each story and character ended up having their own unique voice.

I am impressed with this book as well.

Leanna said...

I am enjoying the book, like you, and think Cisneros is a talented writer. I would not, however, characterize her style as 'poetic' or 'subtle' though. The voice is great, and I think it always rings true for whatever character she is speaking for, but I find it is very direct. I think she brings shock value into her writing to address the difficult experiences faced by Chicanos.